[Operators] Google Talk Doesn't Perform S2S with Random Jabber Servers

Arnaud Abélard arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr
Tue Feb 19 15:34:13 CST 2008

Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 19 févr. 08 à 22:20, Jesse Thompson a écrit :
>
>> I was also thinking that it might be some sort of anti-abuse.  But, why
>> would they only block presence packets but still allow message packets?
>
> I see one good reason: Bots with lots of Google users in roster.
> If they go online / offline frequently, they generate large burst of
> presence traffic.

Then, it's seriously flawed. It wouldn't stop a whole network from
contacting them, it would rather "moderate" a particular user.

Anyway, we (as in the rest of the world) aren't supposed to make our
services work with them, it's rather the opposite.

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Abélard (jabber: arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr)
Administrateur Système