[Operators] Google Talk Doesn't Perform S2S with Random Jabber Servers

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 20 10:46:22 CST 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Mickaël Rémond wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> From what I know Google has changed two weeks ago the way they handle
>> s2s. They have added more servers that can handle s2s (know you can
>> reach several different ip for s2s).
>> It broke s2s for several hosts. I suspect they have added some kind of
>> regulation or anti abuse mecanism that cause trouble to some.
>
> It seems that the problem happens only with services that produce a
> small volume of traffic over the federated link. Perhaps they have some
> automatic timeouts? I'm trying to find out more about the problem from
> folks at Google.

small volume of traffic: as in too little?  Our test environment works
fine, and it produces almost no traffic to Google.  Or, as in too much
traffic?  Then why does it work with jabber.org?

federated link: as opposed to what?

It's odd that Google doesn't engage the XMPP community.  Don't they want
their service to work with others?  If they collaborate, we might be
able to help them deal with the issues, because some day we'll all be
dealing with the same issues to some extent.

Jesse

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Email/IM: jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu