[Operators] Google Talk Doesn't Perform S2S with Random Jabber Servers

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Feb 20 11:10:54 CST 2008

Jesse Thompson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Mickaël Rémond wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> From what I know Google has changed two weeks ago the way they handle
>>> s2s. They have added more servers that can handle s2s (know you can
>>> reach several different ip for s2s).
>>> It broke s2s for several hosts. I suspect they have added some kind of
>>> regulation or anti abuse mecanism that cause trouble to some.
>> It seems that the problem happens only with services that produce a
>> small volume of traffic over the federated link. Perhaps they have some
>> automatic timeouts? I'm trying to find out more about the problem from
>> folks at Google.
>
> small volume of traffic: as in too little?  Our test environment works
> fine, and it produces almost no traffic to Google.  Or, as in too much
> traffic?  Then why does it work with jabber.org?

A small volume of traffic, as in not that many stanzas. This would
explain why large services like jabber.org have not seen this behavior,
since there is a continual stream of traffic between the two domains. As
I said, they may have some kind of automated timeout if the traffic
between your service and Google Talk is irregular or intermittent. This
is a second-hand report so I have not verified it with folks at Google.

> federated link: as opposed to what?

Sorry, "federated link" was a fancy way of saying "s2s connection".

> It's odd that Google doesn't engage the XMPP community.  Don't they want
> their service to work with others?  If they collaborate, we might be
> able to help them deal with the issues, because some day we'll all be
> dealing with the same issues to some extent.

Since I don't work for Google, I will not attempt to speak for them.