[Operators] Google Talk Doesn't Perform S2S with Random JabberServers

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 21 08:28:08 CST 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Hey folks, the purpose of this discussion list is not to bash Google or
> any other operator, but to improve communication among operators of XMPP
> services. I'm working to get some operators from Google to join this
> forum, at which point I hope we'll get a clearer picture of the recent
> s2s issues. And remember, you attract more flies with honey than with
> vinegar...
>
> Peter

I completely agree.  Google should be commended for embracing XMPP.
Given their unique situation, it's not surprising that they would have
to implement things a little differently than the rest of us.  We all
might need to follow in their footsteps in the future, so it would be
beneficial if we could all learn from their successes (as well as their
failures.)  They might even learn from us.

The tendency to bash occurs when there is a lack of communication from
the other party.  I've seen this on an email operators mailing list with
Yahoo being the source of frustration.  Everyone would hold no restraint
in bashing the large faceless corporation for their "meaningless
actions" because it was their only source of outlet for their
frustration.  However, once a representative from Yahoo joined the list
and explained the situation and participated in the discussions, Yahoo
was rarely criticized again.

Jesse

--
  Jesse Thompson