[Operators] Recent Google XMPP Federation problems

Arnaud Abélard arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr
Sun Feb 24 14:21:31 CST 2008

David Horwitz wrote:

>> Actually, i just noticed something bad, bad, bad from google. When
>> activating Google Apps For Teams Edition, it actives gtalk
>> automatically for the domain, so i guess the rerouting behavior was
>> understandable in my case. I just disabled it, and hope we'll see some
>> change in a few hours/days.
>>

> What does it take to activate this? Do you need to supply come kind on
> domain ownership? Otherwise this is very bad (any one of our 26K+ staff
> or students could kill our XMPP federation)

Yeah, of course. They ask you to prove you own or manage the domain by
either setting a cname redirecting to google.com or uploading a special
html page to your domain. But in my case, someone tried to activate apps
for our domain, so i had to prove I was the owner but for some reason
never got access to the administration area until I requested it today.
That's when i noticed that gtalk was activated by default, even before
anyone had access to the administration pages, which is bad!

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Abélard (jabber: arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr)
Administrateur Système