[Operators] Recent Google XMPP Federation problems

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Tue Feb 26 07:17:14 CST 2008

Hi Pedro,

My last communication from google help basically seems to suggest they
expect us to go through the domain verification process in order for us
to get our routing back! So basically you have to register all your
domains, get admin access and switch off the gtalk app or you risk one
of your users breaking your routing with google.  (email reproduced
bellow for info).

While I am negotiating this with the relevant sections of our IT
department, it has moved Google from my favourite suppliers of cool new
stuff to the worst. I also generally am one of the people who argue
against the network being locked down and people to be allowed to use
new service, this fiasco will seriously dent my credibility next time I
argue "you can't block that google app"

David

--
"It remains that, from the same principles, I now demonstrate the frame
of the System of the World." - Newton "Principia Mathematica"