[Operators] Google Talk Federation Problems

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 26 14:21:24 CST 2008

Adam Fass wrote:
> Here is some additional information on the federation problems with
> Google that some of you have observed.
>
> The problem occurs when a user signs up for Google Apps Team Edition
> with a domain that already uses XMPP federation. We believe we have
> fixed all domains that had this problem as of Feb. 22nd by disabling
> Google Talk in Team Edition, but it is possible that we missed a few.
> Other domains may encounter this problem as new users sign up for Team
> Edition, and we are working on a solution that checks for federated
> domains automatically when users sign up.
>
> If you are having a problem with federation, please report it to our
> new alias for federation issues:
> xmpp at google.com

Since XMPP federation is still broken for our domains, I plan to request
the Gtalk feature to be disabled for all domains we have federated.

How do we preempt Google from "assuming" ownership of domains that we do
not currently have federated, but might in the future?

> If you administer a federated domain, you can fix this problem
> yourself by upgrading from Google Apps Team Edition to Standard
> Edition. Standard Edition provides a console that you can use to
> disable Google Talk. See this page for instructions:
> http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=86647

There is no reason we should agree to the Google Apps Terms of Service
in order to disable a service we did not agree for you to enable.

Jesse

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Email/IM: jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu