[Operators] Google Talk Federation Problems

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:36:29 CST 2008

On 26-Feb-2008, at 15:21, Jesse Thompson wrote:
> Since XMPP federation is still broken for our domains, I plan to
> request
> the Gtalk feature to be disabled for all domains we have federated.
>
> How do we preempt Google from "assuming" ownership of domains that
> we do
> not currently have federated, but might in the future?

	Google should be querying SRV records to assume hosting of a given
domain. The current MO is terrible. As it turns out Google Apps are
very popular. I know, because it seems like every domain I want to
host ends up being blocked from Google because they assume ownership
of XMPP.

	That anyone can pose as a domain holder to do this only adds salt to
the wounds. That you have to prove yourself as a domain holder to
remove it is pure corporate boondoggling.

-bjc