[Operators] Google Talk federation problems (still)

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Thu Feb 28 09:41:32 CST 2008

I just sent a couple of messages to xmpp at google.com, but I'm
experiencing the same sort of federation issues with google talk hosted
domains that other people have experienced here the past week or so.

I'm, in particular, dealing with two domains that are hosted at Google
Talk, one is new, and one has been on Google Talk hosted for many months.

I am able to send messages to the hosted domains from my server, but
they are not able to send messages back.  Presence doesn't seem to be
correctly being sent either, although I'm not as sure on the details on
presence.

Server dialback seems to be succeeding (based on what I can tell in my
logs) in both directions.

The domain that has been hosted on Google Talk for a while has been
successfully in use for months and months, including this federation.

Any chance we can get a bit more transparency from the Google folks
about what has changed in s2s handling on the Google side in the past
couple of weeks?  With some specificity maybe?

I'm trying to be positive and productive, here, but Google seems to be
playing fast and loose with at least the spirit of the XMPP standards in
a couple of places here and its starting to cause some problems.  And to
say that its frustrating is quite a bit of an understatement.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."