[Operators] [Fwd: [jadmin] Server Abuse - MUC Spam]

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat May 3 22:18:16 CDT 2008

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 17:44:04 +0200
From: Florian Jensen <admin at flosoft.biz>
To: Jabber/XMPP server administration list <jadmin at jabber.org>
Subject: [jadmin] Server Abuse - MUC Spam

Hey everyone,

I know it's the weekend, sunny outside, and not really the perfect time
to send a long mail, but this is quite important.

MattJ just pinged me, and told me that there is a user on my server is
doing MUC spam. This person seems to have accounts on multiple servers,
and has cause quite some annoyance to the Jabber.org Admins.

We have an IP from Monday 28.03 at around 21:30UTC, so I called the
provider and talked to the Admin.

His reply: He's on vacation at the moment, and has no access to his office.

MattJ sent me a link with his known JIDs: http://pastebin.org/33615

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE OR DISABLE THESE.

Why? Well, because this way we know what account he uses, and we can
track it.

The IP Range of his provider on Monday is the following: 83.149.24.0 -
83.149.27.255

The Admin of their network told me to collect data, and send him a list
with IPs and Date of that guy, in order for him to locate the user and
do something about it.

So I am asking you guys, to monitor these accounts, and send me a mail
with the results.

Maybe, does anyone of you guys know how to get notified upon an
incomming connection from the IP Range? Any tools?

Hope to hear from you guys soon,

Florian Jensen
Flosoft.biz / CEK Media Service