[Operators] Meeting Notes

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon May 5 21:40:04 CDT 2008

On 05/05/2008 2:45 PM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> "Matthew Wild" <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan, could you please elaborate as to *why* you are opposed?
>
> Because black lists won't solve the problem, they will just move them.
> When the server uses a black list, that black list will get the
> attackers' target. Plus, something centralized in a decentralized
> network sucks.

Nothing says that blacklisting needs to be centralized. I still like the
idea of "server buddies" -- a server asks the servers it trusts about a
particular IP address/range. In a way this just formalizes what we
already do in an informal way through communication among server admins
(folks who post to this list or who hang out in the most popular MUC rooms).