[Operators] Strange registrations

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Apr 3 13:34:39 CDT 2009

On 3/30/09 7:50 AM, Badlop wrote:
> 2009/3/27 Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:
>> I agree that we need good web-registration support. Does anyone have a
>> good set of pages for this (e.g., PHP)?
>
> mod_register_web is a module for ejabberd that provides a public web
> page where people can register accounts in the local server, change
> password and delete the account. I've improved mod_register_web, so
> the registration page displays a captcha. It uses ejabberd_captcha, so
> ejabberd trunk SVN is required.
>
> It relies in ejabberd's HTTP server, Captcha module and authentication
> methods, so it doesn't require additional web server (Apache), PHP or
> captcha programs over what ejabberd trunk SVN already requires.

As might have noticed, at jabber.org we decided to write our own custom
registration page (thanks, MattJ!):

http://register.jabber.org/

There were several reasons for this:

1. We really don't want to run any kind of HTTP service on the machine
that runs our XMPP service.

2. We wanted to interact directly with our PostgreSQL account database.

3. We wanted to keep web registration independent from our XMPP server
to minimize vendor lock-in.

As a result of this work, the jabber.org service no longer accepts
in-band registration (XEP-0077). Details here:

http://www.jabber.org/index.php/2009/04/account-registration-policy/