[Operators] Server Software Choice

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:07:37 CDT 2009

On 24-Apr-2009, at 00:39, Nickola Kolev wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:03:40 -0500
> "Luke-Jr" <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
>>
>> My own personal experience is that all the jabberds are horribly
>> unreliable. I use ejabberd because it has problems the least.
>> But good luck fixing it if it *does* break. :/
>
> Yeah, {for} example {{if}} something in {{the} config file breaks}};,
> go and {[find]} it through all the brackets, semicolons and commas out
> there. }:]

	Gonna have to disagree with both points here. I like the config
syntax, since it's just erlang. I can put emacs into erlang mode and
get all my normal tools for dealing with syntax errors. You'll have a
much harder time with some custom format if you make a syntax error.

	Also, debugging and fixing ejabberd is about as simple as it can get,
assuming you know erlang already. You can attach to running nodes and
interactively debug and do hot code loads for fixes. You cannot do
that with any of the other implementations that I know of and it comes
in extremely handy sometimes.

	I'm not ejabberd's biggest fan (as some of you from the ejabberd list
probably already know), but its features and hackability put it in a
class by itself.

-bjc