[Operators] Server Software Choice

Nickola Kolev nikky at minus273.org
Fri Apr 24 16:05:28 CDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:07:37 -0400
Brian Cully <bcully at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24-Apr-2009, at 00:39, Nickola Kolev wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:03:40 -0500
> > "Luke-Jr" <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> My own personal experience is that all the jabberds are horribly
> >> unreliable. I use ejabberd because it has problems the least.
> >> But good luck fixing it if it *does* break. :/
> >
> > Yeah, {for} example {{if}} something in {{the} config file
> > breaks}};, go and {[find]} it through all the brackets, semicolons
> > and commas out there. }:]
>
> 	Gonna have to disagree with both points here. I like the
> config syntax, since it's just erlang. I can put emacs into erlang
> mode and get all my normal tools for dealing with syntax errors.
> You'll have a much harder time with some custom format if you make a
> syntax error.

Oh, well. I'm not saying that I dislike ejabberd because of the config
syntax - I'm using it on my server, by the way. I'm not using emacs,
nor I'm an erlang programmer... but I really do hate to make syntax
*bracker* errors and in the log files I only get a *clue* as to where
to find it... I'm a mere sysadmin, so bear with me.

> 	Also, debugging and fixing ejabberd is about as simple as it
> can get, assuming you know erlang already. You can attach to running
> nodes and interactively debug and do hot code loads for fixes. You
> cannot do that with any of the other implementations that I know of
> and it comes in extremely handy sometimes.

Would not like to comment on that. As I said I'm not an erlang
programmer, and I'm not usually keen on coding loads of fixes for
something I've broken myself by misconfiguration. Nevermind... I've just
expressed an opinion.

--
Nickola Kolev <nikky at minus273.org>