[Operators] Associate different IPs/domains with different authentication methods?

Wayne Mac Adams waynemacadams at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 04:15:12 CST 2009

Hi,

I've been looking at various XMPP servers and I am trying to find one that
is flexible in the authentication methods it offers to different
IPs/domains.

For example, my XMPP server requires other XMPP Servers to encrypt using SSL
and to authenticate using SASL DIGEST-MD5 or SASL GSSAPI. However as an
admin, I fully trust the XMPP server A.com and I want to allow it to connect
with no security, say via Server Dialback, or using SASL ANONYMOUS or
EXTERNAL. However perhaps I also trust another Server B.com but I am worried
about eavesdropping between servers, so I require B.com to connect via
Server Dialback and SSL.

Does anyone know of an XMPP server in which this kind of authentication/IP
filtering can be achieved? I don't believe there are any XMPP xeps/rfcs that
specify this type of fine grained control over the authentication methods?

I guess in a way, its a more advanced form of
XEP-0178<http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0178.html>,
in that different authentication methods are offered based on some
criteria(valid certs in this case). Incedently does someone know of a server
that implements XEP-0178?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Wayne