[Operators] How-to fight with SPAM accounts

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Dec 3 15:02:05 CST 2009

Agreed. That's why I said the hurdle was small. :)

> Take a look at this
> list of email "phishing reply dropbox" email addresses that we have been
> collecting over the past year or two.
>
> https://aper.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/aper/phishing_reply_addresses

Nice. And some of those double as IM addresses.

>>> and with phished account credentials
>>> on closed systems.
>>
>> I think we've seen less of this on the XMPP network because we don't
>> have very good web integration.
>
> No, the phishers just ask the users to reply via email with their
> account credentials.  The link above is a list of these reply
> destination email accounts.
>
> Or, they put up a web form somewhere.
>
> You would be surprised how many users will give away their credentials
> to anyone that asks.

Sadly, you're probably right.

>>> You could apply an account-level reputation system at the server as well
>>> as the client.
>>>
>>> An XMPP operator could set up the server to block domains whose
>>> trustworthy account ratio is below their tolerance level.  This would
>>> effectively block domains that have only spammers.  But it would not
>>> block domains like jabber.org or gmail that are trustworthy but have
>>> spammers signing up for free accounts.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> For spamming accounts in trustworthy domains, the server operator could
>>> set it up to block accounts that meet a certain untrustworthiness
>>> threshold.
>>
>> So when mydomain.com receives an inbound stanza from user at jabber.org, it
>> would check the trust score of the sender?
>
> yeah

That could generate a lot of traffic. Perhaps it could be optimized to
check only on the first message received in a chat session (although
"chat session" is mostly undefined at the protocol level).

>>> Or, the users could do it at the client level.
>>
>> That seems like more work. See above about user laziness. :)
>
> My thought was more that ambitious developers will be more able to
> integrate it into the clients before it is adopted into server software
> and deployed by the operators.  Think of it as a way to bridge the gap.

I'm not opposed to both methods, although I think that development of
clients and servers is about equal in speed these days.

> Anti-spam scanning was built into email clients well before it became
> common on the server-side (around 2002.)  Once the servers caught up,
> the client approach became less effective, but it is still useful in
> some situations.

Agreed. And the client-side approach might tie in nicely with rosters.

>>> The key is to figure out how to collect and expose the data in a private
>>> way.
>>
>> Your thoughts are welcome.
>>
>> Do you mean the scores need to be private, or the source data needs to
>> be private?
>
> I was initially thinking of a trust network: I trust someone who is
> trusted by the people I trust.  I could then set it up so that people
> who are very trustworthy are allowed to send me anonymous messages and I
> will auto-authorize into my roster, someone who is completely foreign to
> my trust network is blocked from sending messages, and various levels in
> between.
>
> Some of this data is already available within the server roster
> databases, but otherwise it would have to be fed by opt-in contributers.
>  The problem with this trust network approach is that the data could be
> mined by spammers and phishers, so it would need to be kept private
> somehow.
>
> Otherwise, traditional DNSBLs (specifically, URIBLs of JIDs) are the way
> to go.  It might be possible to work with the existing DNSBL providers
> to create a new blacklist of JIDs.

Yes, that's worth exploring, though I'd like a way to query it in XMPP
and not over DNS.