[Operators] Remove old unused accounts?

Mathias Ertl mati at fsinf.at
Wed Dec 9 07:15:04 CST 2009

Hi,

I added the policy that old accounts on our XMPP-Server will be deleted
after a year of inactivity. The CCC (jabber.ccc.de) seems to practice
the same, and I *think* jabber.org also deletes unused accounts.

But some of your Users complained that such a practice is questionable,
at least if you allow the usernames to be reregistered: Somebody could
reuse your ID, and if someone else used your ID before, you could
unwillingly inherit what the one before you posted on the internet.

So what is your practice on deleting unused accounts? Do you block
reregistering? And if yes: how do you implement this with ejabberd?

greetings, Mati

--
I only read plain text mail! I prefer pgp|gpg signed & encrypted mails!