[Operators] How-to fight with SPAM accounts

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 9 15:07:42 CST 2009

> On 12/2/09 2:35 PM, Adam Seabrook wrote:
>> I have not been reading all of this thread so I apologise if this has
>> already been raised. Why not just set up something similar to
>> www.senderbase.org where we all report the number of messages received
>> from each server and each account. Any server or account that has an
>> uncharacteristic increase in messages can be blocked or flagged to the
>> server operator.
>
> Hey, I work for Cisco, let me poke the IronPort guys about their
> SenderBase stuff... ;-)

IronPort (for email spam) is expensive.  Of course, there's nothing
wrong with charging for a valuable service (it may even be necessary for
a for-pay service initially, since the xmpp spam problem seems to be
limited to only a few big services at this time.)  In the long run, not
everyone would be willing to pay.  So, IronPort could be part, but not
all, of a solution.

Ideally, if IronPort got into this business, we would want them to
expose their blacklist using a common protocol.  e.g. SpamHaus is
queried just like every other public DNSBL, but they charge for the service.

Jesse

--
   Jesse Thompson
   Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
   Email/IM: jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu