[Operators] Remove old unused accounts?

Jonathan Schleifer js-xmpp-operators at webkeks.org
Thu Dec 10 17:55:40 CST 2009

Am 10.12.2009 um 23:50 schrieb Mihael Pranjić:

> It clearly does sound like a sane idea. This would solve the problem
> of having
> multiple users use the same JID after it was deleted. But think of
> jabber
> accounts that were created, used for short time and then left lying
> aroung on
> the server. This includes unnecessarily created accounts and so on.
> However it
> is defined, on most public services there are many jabber accounts
> just lying
> around, unused. This makes it impossible for someone who would
> really like to
> use the same JID to register it, as he does not have the email adress.
>
> In short there wont be two different people using the same jabber
> account,
> regardless of the fact that there may be "garbage" accounts that are
> not
> really used. This makes it impossible tot get the jid, even for the
> people who
> would really use it.
>
> Captcha could prevent an amount of "garbage" accounts, but is not
> 100% proof.
> Anyone can still create accounts and not use them.

Well, you could make a difference between accounts that have been used
for a while and accounts that have been registered but never used. For
example, if the user never logged in two weeks after it has been
created, it is unlikely that the account has ever been used properly -
in this case, I guess it is safe to remove it, as I don't think
someone who just registered account will get important privileges
anywhere.

--
Jonathan