[Operators] Remove old unused accounts?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Dec 10 18:03:51 CST 2009

On 12/10/09 4:55 PM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> Am 10.12.2009 um 23:50 schrieb Mihael Pranjić:
>
>> It clearly does sound like a sane idea. This would solve the problem
>> of having
>> multiple users use the same JID after it was deleted. But think of jabber
>> accounts that were created, used for short time and then left lying
>> aroung on
>> the server. This includes unnecessarily created accounts and so on.
>> However it
>> is defined, on most public services there are many jabber accounts
>> just lying
>> around, unused. This makes it impossible for someone who would really
>> like to
>> use the same JID to register it, as he does not have the email adress.
>>
>> In short there wont be two different people using the same jabber
>> account,
>> regardless of the fact that there may be "garbage" accounts that are not
>> really used. This makes it impossible tot get the jid, even for the
>> people who
>> would really use it.
>>
>> Captcha could prevent an amount of "garbage" accounts, but is not 100%
>> proof.
>> Anyone can still create accounts and not use them.
>
> Well, you could make a difference between accounts that have been used
> for a while and accounts that have been registered but never used. For
> example, if the user never logged in two weeks after it has been
> created, it is unlikely that the account has ever been used properly -
> in this case, I guess it is safe to remove it, as I don't think someone
> who just registered account will get important privileges anywhere.

Says who?

I tell all the people who matter that I'm creating a new account because
I'm tired of having 2400 people in my roster at the old account, on day
one I become a room owner for a bunch of chatrooms, then I go offline
for a two-week vacation. I come home and my account is gone. What gives?

Look, we can spin out weird scenarios all day.