[Operators] How can I tell if gtalk thinks it authoritative for my XMPP domain?

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 23 09:32:00 CST 2009

rek2 wrote:
> looks like our server is having the issue again, it was fine for a whole
> year and today just stop working..
> looks like more servers are having the problem:
> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Talk/thread?tid=12547027e1d0db93&hl=en

No problems here, FWIW.

Our domains aren't signed up with Google Apps, but we had a few hundred
users who "activated" some of our domains, causing Google to hijack our
XMPP service for a while until we requested that they disable Talk for
those domains.

Based on stpeter's comments on this page
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Talk/thread?tid=089ae52d97176669&hl=en
it seems that Google might have temporarily lost a config file that
specified which domains don't want to be impersonated by Google without
their permission.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence, perhaps Google should
change their default behavior to only offer XMPP service for those
domains that have had an authoritative representative of the domain sign
up for the service.

Jesse

--
   Jesse Thompson
   Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
   Email/IM: jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu