[Operators] How can I tell if gtalk thinks it authoritative for my XMPP domain?

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 25 11:20:34 CST 2009

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Tue Feb 24 19:50:32 2009, Brian Cully wrote:
>>     This is whack. As an alternative, how about you don't host the
>> domain  at all until you see an SRV pointing to google's servers? It's
>> just  not good enough to allow anyone out there to hijack service just
>> as  long as they get to it first. If someone points the SRV record,
>> that's  a good sign that someone with real authority actually wants to
>> use  your services.
>
> Don't be ridiculous. I mean, anyone would think you meant that the DNS
> was more authoritative than Google.

hehe.  If Google is the new DNS, then I wonder if "google bombs" can be
used to hijack other domains.  :-)

Seriously though, Google Apps already has a domain authorization process
that they just aren't using for Talk.  No need to use SRV records.

Stepping back, I'm sure that the quality of the xmpp service that Google
Talk runs is great.  Give the technical guys credit.

That said, Google's domain management aggressiveness is doing the Google
Talk team a disservice by undermining Google's trustworthiness.  We
actually considered using Google Talk for part of our IM solution, but
ultimately decided that privacy and local control was too important.

Google would probably get more business if they addressed those issues
directly.  Instead, they are attempting to extort domains into signing
up, which only proves that we made the right decision in the first place.

Jesse