[Operators] How can I tell if gtalk thinks it authoritative for my XMPP domain?

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 29 11:59:50 CST 2009

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed Jan 28 17:08:46 2009, Pedro Melo wrote:
>> I believe that the last time this was discussed in this ML, Google
>> added a check for SRV record before taking over the domain, but I
>> could be wrong...
>
> I reviewed the thread, and Adam Fass stated that while a check is made
> when the domain is first added

Yes, Google sees it as: first come, first serve.

> it's not repeated if SRV records are
> later added.

That would be nice for them to do, but it misses the point.

Just because someone isn't using something doesn't mean you have the
right to use it without their permission.  It probably violates
trademarks for most domains.

I'm sorry.  I don't really want to bash Google, since I think that they
are good for XMPP.  I hope that the developers and operators of the
service don't take offense.  However, I vehemently disagree with the
business practices of Google Apps.

Jesse