[Operators] Online real time monitoring

Mathias Ertl mati at fsinf.at
Mon Jul 13 14:25:17 CDT 2009

Hi,

On 7/5/09 9:48 AM, Alexandr Shapoval wrote:
> I have a suggestion for monitoring Jabber services.

This reminds me: so do I. I'm not sure if this is the right list for
this, if not, please point me to it ;-).

Anyway: I decided to split the whole thing into to parts: A bot that
scans servers (via XEP-012 requests) and logs (to a db) if they are up
or down, and an arbitrary number of tools to generate something to look
at. Right now, I have a munin-plugin that generates graphs of how their
availability develops. I just re-started data-gathering yesterday, so
there is not much to look at, but here it is anyway:
http://jabber.fsinf.at/stats/jabber.fsinf.at-jabber_availability_month.html

The advantage is that the design is extremely simple and you can
generate all sorts of statistics from it (i.e. you could easily write a
tool to generate a list like Alexandr's from it).

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I'll be curious to see what Tobias and Pedro think, because they have
> worked on their own monitoring systems, too.

Me too. But I think we should have a more coordinated place for that ;-)

greetings, Mati

--
I only read plain text mail! I prefer pgp|gpg signed & encrypted mails!