[Operators] Strange registrations

chris johnston ctofur at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 10:44:17 CDT 2009

Is it a good idea to disallow registrations of users and force the use of a
webpage form that has a human verification method (reCaptha)????  Thus bot
registrations would have to pass the human verification method of a webpage.

It seems like the in-band registration capabilities of XMPP are going to be
targeted by bots heavily and there are no strong methods intergrated into
major xmpp servers nor clients that stop this issue.

I do know ejabberd is working on suppressing SPAM via Group chats
using XEP-0158
*CAPTCHA* Forms <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0158.html#muc>

Although untill jabber clients support XEP-0158 for in-band user
registration I suggest all operators with public servers move to
registration via html form with human verification.

-Chris