[Operators] Attacks/Threats and related config attributes

Wayne Mac Adams waynemacadams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 06:48:08 CST 2009

Firstly apologies if this is a double post, I already sent this to
operators, but because I wasn't subscribed at the time I now realise it was
probably discarded as spam.

Hi there,
I'm an masters student studying IT security, I am doing some research into
Jabber servers. I am looking at the configurable attributes and researching
the possible attacks and the relation between them and the Jabber server
attributes.
For example a Denial of Service attack is possible on a Jabber server and a
related attribute is the number of simultaneous logins from the same
account, a best practise for avoiding a DOS attack would be to limit the
number of simultaneous logins( its limited to 2 by default in Openfire).
There is actually a document of best practises for avoiding DOS attacks
available from the XMPP standards foundation,
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0205.html.
This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

I am currently trying to document what Jabber administrators are doing with
their Jabber servers in terms of configuration and threat minimisation, with
one of the goals being to try automate this process.
I am wondering does anyone know where I can get more information like in the
document I mentioned or does anyone have first hand experience as an
administrator the types of threats and attacks you would be worried about
and how you go about avoiding those threats, whether it be through
configuration or otherwise? And if so are you willing to share your
knowledge with me :)

Any help at all is much appreciated,
Thanks,
Wayne