[Operators] DNSBLs

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:30:04 CST 2009

Peter Viskup wrote:
> What does your expression - 'uncontrolled registration' - mean?
> What is the definition of 'controlled registration'?
> How do you check if the jabber server has 'controlled registration'?

 From my point 'uncontrolled' means: no captcha or no per-IP time
limitation - both of them leads to the ability for massive unlimited
registration by automated software (bots).
By the way, I've found out that even time limitation doesn't provide a
good protection from massive registrations: there is a malware which
traverses the list of public server and registers one account per an
iteration on each server in the list. The problem will become more acute
when there will be hundreds of thousands of public servers available in
the list.

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.