[Operators] How-to fight with SPAM accounts

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 19 10:18:38 CST 2009

On 11/19/09 4:49 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Peter Viskup <skupko.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway - I am still not convinced SPAM in XMPP is real.
>> Does anybody have real experience with SPAM in XMPP network?
>
> Yes, jabber.org has seen some spam-like attacks.

Most of the spam we've seen has occurred in groupchat rooms (flooder
bots and so on). We might have seen a few occurrences of one-to-one
spam, but not that many.

>From the operational perspective, I am more interested in determining if
a given JID is a malicious bot, part of a file sharing network, or some
other abusive entity (sending too many stanzas, registering too many
accounts, etc.). Spam is part of that, but definitely not the whole story.

When you run a large-ish IM service, you discover that there are all
sorts of ways for an entity to be abusive. :)