[Operators] Recent Google Talk s2s interoperability

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 04:48:44 CDT 2010

Hi,

While some have been reporting issues regarding inter-server
communication between, in my case, ejabberd and the servers of Google
Talk, there seem to have been limited progress with the issue.

To get to know the issue better, I ran a packet listener on my server
when it was trying to get in contact with Google talk. This is what
seem to be happening (E = ejabberd, G = Google Talk)

E connects to G

E: <?xml version='1.0'?><stream:stream
xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams' xmlns='jabber:server'
xmlns:db='jabber:server:dialback' to='gmail.com' version='1.0'>

G: <stream:stream id="7BD1F284707D47EE"
xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams" xmlns="jabber:server"
xmlns:db="jabber:server:dialback">

E: <db:result from='[our domain]' to='gmail.com'>3570768198</db:result>

... ~20 seconds pass ...

G: Close connection.

When the connection closes, ejabberd reports the s2s connection failure:

I(<0.14143.13>:ejabberd_s2s_out:416) : wait for validation: [our
domain] -> googlemail.com (closed)

As far as I could see, from the packet logs, there were no other
connections opened to/from Google Talk.

Am I reading the specification correctly when I say that "G" is
failing to comply, as it should have replied to the <db:result .../>
stanza?

Jonas