[Operators] wildcard cert

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 22 14:16:01 CST 2010

> On 2/22/10 11:27 AM, Jesse Thompson wrote:
>>>
>>> It did in the old days when we had the XMPP ICA. In fact we were in the
>>> process of removing that option for Class 1 certs even for the XMPP ICA
>>> because of security problems with wildcard certs. Part of the reasoning
>>> behind pulling the plug on the XMPP ICA and redirecting admins to
>>> startssl.com was that we'd need to perform stronger verification and
>>> that infrastructure was already in place at startssl.com but not at
>>> xmpp.net.
>>
>> This feels like a bait and switch.
>
> It is a recognition of the changed security landscape on the net. There
> are significant security issues related to wildcard certificates. Would
> you like me to find some URLs about those security issues?

I'm aware of the issues with wildcard certificates.  I cringed the first
time the XMPP standards foundation offered it as the only practical
solution for virtual domain hosting.  I was, and still am, uncomfortable
obtaining a wildcard certificate for an organization as large as ours.
I took solace in the fact that the XMPP ICA certificate authority was
obscure and the certificates were supposed to be used only for XMPP.
Now that that has changed, I feel that wildcard certificates are no
longer a valid alternative for hosting providers that wish to avoid
certificate warnings.

Jesse

--
   Jesse Thompson
   Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
   Email/IM: jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu