[Operators] Openfire 3.6.4 (jabber.iitsp.com) vs. jabber.org

Nigel Kukard nkukard at lbsd.net
Sat Jul 3 11:33:45 CDT 2010

Hi there Arsimael,

> I'm using prosody 0.7 and it was very easy do install and configure.
>
> My Server has a lot of transports (ICQ,MSN,Yahoo,myspace,facebook,AIM)
> and I COULD add IRC, GG,QQ an many more. Its very stable and just
> works great. Prosody is able to handle MUC and SSL.

Nice feature set!

> I tried openfire, but its based on Java, and overfilled my ram
> permanently.

Yea, its memory hungry and about once a month it dies for us. Very
little to control DDoS ... and seeing as its java ... very icky to
develop any addons ourselves. Java is really not my favourite language
when it comes to having an obsession being able to control everything
and modify anything I want to  ;)

> As Transports I can only say: use spectrum im. Its stable too and easy
> to configure.
>
> Prosody Server: http://prosody.im

Prosody looks pretty cool .... lua ... I don't REALLY like scripting
languages, but at this point in time I'm close to trying anything
really. Not sure I have any hair left after all the hair pulling I've
been doing.

Our organization is very strongly skilled in C/C++, perl ... everything
else is doable, but those are our strongest languages. I kinda liked
jabberd2 for that, there is a jabberd-mod_perl .... so my eyes lightened up.

I can't see that prosody uses SQL though, which is something we would
REALLY like as it allows us to register users in various different ways
and to migrate our current userbase over with zero impact.

> Spectrum Transports: http://spectrum.im
>
> If you want you can contact me via Jabber on Arsimael at voxnoctem.de and
> if you want you can test my server :D

I sure will do that.