[Operators] Openfire 3.6.4 (jabber.iitsp.com) vs. jabber.org

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 16:14:26 CDT 2010

Hey Nigel,

On 3 July 2010 17:33, Nigel Kukard <nkukard at lbsd.net> wrote:
> Hi there Arsimael,
>

>> Prosody Server: http://prosody.im
>
> Prosody looks pretty cool .... lua ... I don't REALLY like scripting
> languages, but at this point in time I'm close to trying anything
> really. Not sure I have any hair left after all the hair pulling I've
> been doing.

I started the Prosody project, and when I started I also had doubts
about using a "scripting language" for such a big project. Suffice to
say that over the past couple of years my doubts are well and truly
gone :) In fact I find the definition of "scripting language" rather
vague now.

> Our organization is very strongly skilled in C/C++, perl ... everything
> else is doable, but those are our strongest languages. I kinda liked
> jabberd2 for that, there is a jabberd-mod_perl .... so my eyes lightened up.

There's a Lua<->Perl bridge I've briefly looked at before as a way to
extend Prosody with Perl. Not being a Perl coder myself though I never
really took the thought as far as implementation, but I guess it would
only need someone with the know-how and motivation...

> I can't see that prosody uses SQL though, which is something we would
> REALLY like as it allows us to register users in various different ways
> and to migrate our current userbase over with zero impact.

Indeed, we're working on SQL support for 0.8 which we (really) hope
will be out by the end of this month.

>> Spectrum Transports: http://spectrum.im

+1 to Arsimael's recommendation of Spectrum... although I don't use it
on my own server I know it's a healthy and actively-developed project
used by most Prosody users, and is the main reason Prosody doesn't
have any native transports already (why when there are good ones
already out there?).

Good luck,
Matthew