[Operators] Problems with s2s connections [ejabberd - OpenFire]

Peter Viskup skupko.sk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 14:16:43 CST 2010

Hi all,
I would like to share my experiences with working on some interesting
issue with s2s connections between two jabber servers.
Our is running ejabber 2.1.5 and the second is OpenFire 3.6.4.
We were unable to send jabber messages to each other. After deeper
investigation we found that it was caused by 'wrong' SSL certificate on
our ejabberd server. It was signed as V1 certificate and had some V3
extensions. OpenFire server rejected this cert with error message:
'javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: no more data allowed for version 1
certificate'.
I just signed SSL certificate again with -extensions option [3] and
everything is working fine now.

1 - https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-1355
2 - http://community.igniterealtime.org/thread/43282
3 - http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/ca.html