[Operators] Rosters flood

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 8 10:19:56 CST 2010

On 09/08/2010 10:30 AM, Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:
> 09.09.2010 01:22, Jesse Thompson пишет:
>> Has anyone ever suggested the idea of clients and/or servers
>> implementing features to not deliver, or segregate, messages from
>> users that aren't subscribed to each others presences?
>
> There is a problem with subscriptions: you cannot block them efficiently using roster mechanism.

I consider subscription requests to be less dangerous than messages
since they don't have malicious payloads.  It seem like a win if the
larger issue of stopping spam messages can be solved with tighter
requirements for subscriptions.

Do you mean that spammers could flood users with subscription requests?
  I suppose that would be difficult to deal with.  Could it be solved
with UI improvements?  e.g., a queue listing of pending requests, as
opposed to a pop-up for each request.

Or are you talking about a different problem?

> Another problem is MUC (for obvious reasons).

Right.  I don't have a good idea for stopping MUC spam.

Jesse