[Operators] Rosters flood

Marco Cirillo maranda at lightwitch.org
Wed Sep 8 19:20:48 CST 2010

  Il 08/09/2010 12:18, Evgeniy Khramtsov ha scritto:
> 08.09.2010 20:07, Arsimael wrote:
>>   I think the easiest and most effective way is a small Question:
>>
>> The Jabber Clients want to register a new Account. before the Server
>> grants the new Account he opens a small textfile with 10 (or 20 or
>> 10.000) Questions and Answeres. He Picks andsom a Question and sends
>> it to the client. Like "what is 12+6? Please write the answere in one
>> word." - Is the Answere correct, then the client gets his account, If
>> not well - try again :)
>>
>> With this way, avery server-owner can write his own questions in his
>> own language, and Bots will have a big problem with hat. Espechially
>> if a question like "What is the name of the most annoying spambot?" :D
>
> AFAIR, CAPTCHA Forms (XEP-0158) provide such feature.

I just use a drupal registration form which is captcha protected, when
the form performs the registration it also sends me the user (with the
ip address) that registered. IBR is tied to my webserver's ip, so anyone
else trying to use it will be redirected as stated in
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0077.html#redirect.

The only issue with this setup is that the lazy users are "scared off" :(.