[Operators] about srv record

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 15 07:53:31 UTC 2011

On Sun Aug 14 15:48:17 2011, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
> Why not just have xmpp.bob.com point at multiple A records, for
> multiple servers?  After all, a single name in DNS can return
> more than one A record.

Well, yes, but that's not actually quite the same statement. SRV
records request the client balance connections to the SRV targets,
but say nothing about multihomed hosts.

(If we're being pedantic, a single name can only have one A record,
but that record may have more than one RR).

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/