[Operators] DarkOrbit cheater bot

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jul 27 14:45:55 UTC 2011

A program that enables you to cheat at DarkOrbit ("The ultimate Browser
Game space adventure") has established itself on the XMPP network. In
essence, you pay for a license and then you are able to "chat" over IM
to obtain real-time instructions about how to cheat in the DarkOrbit
game. Originally this bot had a JID at jabber.org. I disabled the
account at jabber.org because it had a very large buddy list and because
I don't like cheaters. It then moved to wippien.com. I told the Wippien
admins and they shut down the bot. The bot then moved to jabber.ru. It
has gone through several JIDs at jabber.ru (e.g., kbot499 at jabber.ru,
kbotik at jabber.ru) but still resides at that domain. I have seen many
users at jabber.org who have this bot in their rosters (these cheaters
often seem to forget their passwords), so other server admins might want
to be aware that such users are becoming quite common. I contacted the
creators of the DarkOrbit game in early March but did not receive a
reply from them. If you play that game or have a way to contact the
creators, please ping me off-list.