[Operators] Out of curiousity... "What about the List?"

Marco Cirillo maranda at lightwitch.org
Sat Nov 26 20:41:05 UTC 2011

Il 20/11/2011 10:50, Ben Zimmer ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I'l try to sum up the status as of now:
>
> I built an little application, that should make it a lot easier to
> process new list-applications in the future, as it automates some of
> the steps necessary to verify a new server.
> At the moment it has the following features:
>
> * form for server-admins to register their servers
> * automatic sending of verification-email with verification-link to
> proove email-address is real
> * basic check if server is reachable
> * check for SRV-records
> * check for StartTLS/SSL (this is a bit unreliable at the moment and
> would have to be improved)
> * export of list ready to import into the current
> wordpress-table-format on xmpp.org
>
> I asked if this application could be deployed to the server that hosts
> xmpp.org so that it could be integrated in to the page
> (http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001219.html).
> No answer on that so far.
>
> Regarding the list itself and new applications to it:
> We processed all new applications (until today) into this application
> and also marked old, non-responding server as not-verified there. I
> exported the updated list and imported it to the xmpp-wordpress.
> After this I asked if somebody could approve this and make it public,
> but as of now, nobody did (see
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001220.html).
> No reaction to this so far.
>
> The update doesn't include new applications, because email and
> xmpp-address verification is still to be done here. For this purpose
> there was a blogpost planned to inform people about a (mass) email to
> be sent out and from which email this would come to prevent
> misunderstandings (we cannot use a xmpp.org email-address).
>
> I prepared this blogpost and sent out a request for it to be
> proof-read (http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001218.html),
> again without any reaction.
>
> That's about it.
> Ben
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 22:15, Marco Cirillo<maranda at lightwitch.org>  wrote:
>> I think I last mailed asking about it, about 1 month ago...
>> But time is still ticking and there's no visible progress.
>>
>> And at the cost of wearing a "Troll Mask".
>>
>> I'd like to know exactly what's the real _showstopper_ here.
>> I think I discussed the same argument with Ludovic one month ago, he hoped
>> as I did that within October this would get sorted.
>>
>> But I reluctantly observe that it's always just a few responses then back to
>> the initial Void.
>> I'd firmly appreciate that the answer isn't:<<  time>>; because, aside
>> unacceptable, it would be astonishing.
>>
>> If there's really an objective issue in achieving this *task*, I guess it's
>> really time to _discuss_ about it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marco.

Hi Ben,

I'm sorry if it looked in any way the *blame* remark was directed at you
it wasn't my intention.

But I'm concerned that the people who should be _actually monitoring_
this mailing list isn't really caring at all.
And it also disturbs me that an official tool (also given the time
people like you invested in trying to get it restarted properly), which
is now out of question "officially" discontinued or somewhere along
those lines keeps giving a privileged and undeserved (forgive me the
license there..) visibility to services, which often aren't even active
anymore, _just_  because they registered in earlier and more favourable
times.

'Cause yes in the end we know it's both
http://xmpp.org/services/services.xml and
http://xmpp.org/services/services-full.xml which the "mainstream"
clients still use to populate the "default" public services users get to
pick up from.

So dear XSF don't want to mantain the Public Services list anymore?
Fine, remove it.
But keeping this joke going doesn't do good, image wise, that's for sure.

Regards.