[Operators] Strange users

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Oct 11 15:38:18 UTC 2011

On Tue Oct 11 15:12:13 2011, Daniel Fischaleck wrote:
> Does anyone know what kind user this is? I fear of this person
> abusing my
> server for some illegal activities. Due to privacy reasons i do not
> want to
> analyze his traffic.

I am not a lawyer, but in my opinion...

No, analyse the traffic.

Either it's suspect - in which case you need to find out - or else
it's not - in which you quietly forget what you saw and don't pass it
on (beyond telling this group the users are legitimate).

Breaking privacy would involve looking at the traffic, deciding it
was legitimate, and then telling people about the conversations these
people were having.

On the other hand, by publishing the address, you've already breached
data confidentiality laws in some jurisdictions...

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/