[Operators] Strange users

David Banes david at banes.org
Tue Oct 11 15:43:19 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011, at 4:38 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:

> On Tue Oct 11 15:12:13 2011, Daniel Fischaleck wrote:
>> Does anyone know what kind user this is? I fear of this person abusing my
>> server for some illegal activities. Due to privacy reasons i do not want to
>> analyze his traffic.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but in my opinion...
>
> No, analyse the traffic.
>
> Either it's suspect - in which case you need to find out - or else it's not - in which you quietly forget what you saw and don't pass it on (beyond telling this group the users are legitimate).
>
> Breaking privacy would involve looking at the traffic, deciding it was legitimate, and then telling people about the conversations these people were having.
>
> On the other hand, by publishing the address, you've already breached data confidentiality laws in some jurisdictions...

The comment below is based on the work I've done around the Australian Privacy and Copyright Acts, and being in the industry for a while.

In some jurisdictions merely intercepting the data is illegal, but in practice law enforcement turns a blind eye if the activity is for legitimate trouble shooting by the body managing the traffic for the 'customer', whether that's the sender or recipient.