[Operators] Gmail federation

Mathias Ertl mati at fsinf.at
Thu Feb 23 15:20:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 2012-02-23 15:50, Juan Pablo Carlino wrote:
> during the last three months i've experienced an intermittent problem to
> federate with google.com. Actually this is a common problem if you browse
> the web in search for this issue -there are several old threads reporting
> the same, until some magic happens on Google side and everything goes back
> to the expected behaviour-. But this time, the strange thing is that some
> of the virtual hosts i manage on my ejabberd 2.1 server can federate fine,
> while others don't. Moreover, these domains with problems later can do s2s
> fine with Google, without any change on my side.
> The symptom is always the same: during s2s handshake the outgoing
> connection from my server closes by timeout waiting for a reply from Google
> on the wait_for_validation state. But i don't see why some domains remain
> unaffected while others don't.
> If anybody is experiencing the same issue i would be glad to know about it.

We experience the same problems. One server works, the other one
doesn't. They are two completely different machines and domains, though.

We use ejabberd on both servers, and there are two differences in s2s
configuration, and I think (haven't had time to try it out though) one
of them probably is the problem:

1.
jabber.at (non-working) sets
	"{outgoing_s2s_options, [ipv6, ipv4], 10000}."
while jabber.fsinf.at does not set any s2s options.

2.
jabber.at has
	"{s2s_use_starttls, required}."
while jabber.fsinf.at has
	"{s2s_use_starttls, true}."
... which probably is an old form of the same. "true" no longer is a
valid option in the new docs, so I am unsure what happens there (it may
be handled as "optional" or so?")

greetings, Mati

--
twitter: @mathiasertl | soup: http://soup.er.tl | xing: Mathias Ertl
I only read plain-text mail!  I prefer signed/encrypted mail!