[Operators] chatroom flooders

bear bear42 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:30:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM, David Banes <david at banes.org> wrote:
> On 22/06/2012, at 4:20 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> And that's what happens.
>>
>> Does spamd work by blocking IP addresses?
>>
>> One challenge we have is that we can't block a flooder's JID based on IP
>> address. All we can do is report the flooder to its "home" server and
>> ask that server to disable the account or block future registrations
>> from that IP address. For this we need an incident handling protocol
>> <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0268.html> and we need it to be widely
>> implemented and deployed.
>
> Just chipping in here, speaking from many years experience in the anti-spam industry, it's perfectly acceptable to block the IP address in the even if it impacts other users. The general thought process is that the domain or IP range 'owner' is the responsible party because often it's not actually a 'user' but  a trojan or bot causing the problem so they need to clean up their network.

We do this all the time on the IRC servers I help run for communities.
 A flooder is taken thru 3 levels of blockage and a lot manage to get
thru 3 levels in under 5 minutes :)

 1st violation - kicked from the server with a warning message
 2nd violation - kicked from the server and an entry is added to the
ban list - this keeps them from reconnecting for N days/hours
 3rd violation - all of the above and their IP address is added to the
ban list for good.  The message the get when refused connection
includes a link on how/why

requires custom changes to get the different pieces interacting but
it's the only way to deal with it IMO

--
Bear

bear at xmpp.org (email)
bear42 at gmail.com (xmpp, email)
bear at code-bear.com (xmpp, email)
http://code-bear.com/bearlog (weblog)

PGP Fingerprint = 9996 719F 973D B11B E111  D770 9331 E822 40B3 CD29