[Operators] chatroom flooders

David Banes david at banes.org
Fri Jun 22 15:52:33 UTC 2012

On 22/06/2012, at 4:48 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> On 6/22/12 9:46 AM, bear wrote:

>>> So we're going to block all 50,000 users at example.com because they
>>> have one bad user? I'd really really like to avoid that.
>>>

>> To avoid this operators of servers may have to agree to share
>> information about JIDs then: is it a new JID, has it been email
>> confirmed, how many channels has the JID joined (per hour/day), etc.
>> This would allow tarpits to be very selective without having to resort
>> to the "ban hammer" of IP blocking.
>
> Right. JID reputation: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0275.html
>
> So if a low-reputation JID appears in a room that's under attack, we
> don't give it voice. Easy enough. We just need widespread deployment of
> JID reputation. :)

That's a good idea, I wish we had email address reputation in the SMTP world. One thing we do in email is IP reputation, companies like CommTouch are very good at ramping reputation up and down quickly and domain admins soon learn to sort out 'issues' quickly to get themselves off block lists. Especially if they have 50,000 users on the domain :)

David.