[Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

David Banes david at banes.org
Tue Dec 3 15:10:02 UTC 2013

On 3 Dec 2013, at 14:36, Tobias Mädel <t.maedel at alfeld.de> wrote:

> traffic and bandwidth really isn't
> a problem anymore.

+1 to that, a large defence contractor ran tests using XMPP services over various high and low frequency/bandwidth connections with no real problems.

My opinion, based on experience. Most young developers familiar with HTTP just don't know about or can't be bothered to learn XMPP, they'd rather invent a totally new HTTP based platform, and the investment and IPO culture promotes this. You can't make millions building something on a standard protocol that's already in use, it's not novel enough.

However, conversations like this do irritate me a bit because XMPP is already successfully deployed to more end points in the corporate and government world than many would imagine.  Don't assume just because XMPP isn't pervasive in the consumer world that it's a dead platform.

David.