[Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Tue Dec 3 17:49:06 UTC 2013

Am 03.12.2013 15:11, schrieb Matthew Wild:
> On 3 December 2013 08:11, Alexander Holler <holler at ahsoftware.de> wrote:
>> Am 02.12.2013 18:50, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
>>> On 12/1/13 4:34 AM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>> Hmm, I wouldn't want the overhead of an XML-streaming parser for M2M.
>> Also XML makes it very easy for humans to read and debug the
>> communication, a streaming XML-parser isn't that ideal for M2M.
>
> I can't believe that it's the end of 2013, I can play multiplayer 3D
> games with realistic textures smoothly in my browser over a
> low-latency fibre-optic connection direct to my home, data centres now
> internally have 1, 10, or 100 Gigabit links, and people are STILL
> complaining about the "overhead" of XML (quoted because nobody ever
> seems to provide numbers to back up this statement[1]). And if we're
> talking about low-power embedded devices, even the latest Arduino
> boards run Linux now.

And even in 2013 you don't want to harm people because your Linux system
has gone crazy or your jvm decided to make a gc. Maybe we are talking
about different types of machines, but I do associate machines often
with stuff which has to be treated carefully.

Anyway, the tone of your response just proved how unfriendly some parts
of the XMPP community seem to have become.

Alexander Holler