[Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Tue Dec 3 22:03:27 UTC 2013

Am 03.12.2013 20:39, schrieb Solomon Peachy:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 05:11:38PM +0100, Alexander Holler wrote:
>> So I didn't mean traffic or bandwidth overhead, but code overhead.
>>
>> Writing and verifying the correct operation of an XMPP-server is
>> anything but trivial. And M2M is something where usually no admin is
>> around which can restart a server or even fix bugs.
>
> Except the XMPP implementation is relatively minor when you consider
> that you already have to have (for example) a full 802.11 protocol stack
> (including WPA and WPS), full TCP/IP stack (including DNS, DHCP, etc),
> not to mention TLS, zlib, and more before you can do anything meaningful
> across the public internet.

There are already chips around which can do wifi or hardwired IP by them
self. No need for a complicated operating system whatever that might be.
And no, I don't want to discuss the "OS" inside those chips, nor did I
want to discuss about any OS or the necessary transport layers.
Otherwise we could extend the discussion to the used materials too, e.g.
if the capacitors are ready for industrial use or what happens in
radioactive environments or ...

> That's a lot of code that has to JustWork(tm), and adding an XMPP client
> (or server!) is just another component.  Any of these compoents could
> have any number of bugs lurking.

So you think it is an elegant way that if a machine wants to send 10
binary bytes to another machine, it is ok to put them into mime64, pack
that into XML, authorize and authenticate with an XMPP-server. doing the
necessary presence stuff to finally send out a message or iq-stanza?

And sending is the easy part here. Receiving is even harder.

> However, in general, XML parsers are actually pretty low risks in due to
> their maturity, but like anything else, a good way of reducing risks is
> to use a pre-existing library implementation that's already seen a lot
> of real-world testing.

Thats why there were so few critical bugs in XML parsers.

Anyway, I've learned that I shouldn't say something against lovely XMPP
on these lovely lists. And I agree that XMPP solved every communication
problem mankind could think about, otherwise I wouldn't have written a
C++-XMPP-server. ;)

Regards,

Alexander Holler