[Operators] Spammy invites

Mathias Ertl mati at fsinf.at
Thu Feb 14 09:47:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:26:24AM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Another approach is to shut down all new-account registration. We've
> done that at jabber.org for short periods of time, and I am
> considering doing it again. At that point, i you want to connect to
> the open IM network, the answer is: run your own server (whether at a
> company, club, family, church, school, open-source project, or whatever).

In what way does that address the spam issue? What makes you think that
Spammers will not just run their own servers eventually? You may have heard
of a thing called botnets ;-)

I am however sure that "just run your own server if you want to use XMPP"
will adress the "XMPP adoption" issue quite effectively, in that XMPP
adoption will be even less then what it is now.

greetings, Mati

--
I only read plain text mail! I prefer pgp|gpg signed & encrypted mails!