[Operators] Spammy invites

David Banes david at banes.org
Thu Feb 14 09:56:45 UTC 2013

On 14/02/2013, at 9:44 AM, Mathias Ertl <mati at fsinf.at> wrote:

> I think we should look more into what other systems, that have been dealing
> with spam for a much longer time, are doing against SPAM. Some things come
> to mind:

I've been saying this for years, as have others probably.

I've spent 10 years in the email security business and there are many things that could be taken across to XMPP.  In fact I incorporated some of them into my now retired Cleartext.IM services for businesses. The reality was prospective customers weren't really interested in them because they don't think XMPP has a spam problem.

The fact is that whenever anyone suggests this on an XMPP list to try and get a conversation going they (I) am ignored, or no-one can be bothered to engage so I've always assumed it still isn't really a big issue for anyone.

After all if email anti-spam measures were removed we'd all be flooded with email spam wouldn't we, at least that's what the vendors still want you to believe.  But the instances of this type of attack on the XMPP network are still low enough to be managed on a case by case basis with little or no automation.  As soon as it gets out of hand someone will start automating it because hey don't want to be manually fixing things up 24x7.

cheers,

David

http://zerp.ly/dbanes
xmpp: david at jabber.org