[Operators] DDOS-Attack against our server

Jonas Wielicki xmpp-operators at sotecware.net
Wed Jan 2 18:52:48 UTC 2013

Hi Ludovic,

On 02.01.2013 19:40, Ludovic BOCQUET wrote:
> It is strange because XMPP is only TCP not UDP.
That doesn't matter -- the point is that if you spam UDP packets at a
server with a larger bandwidth than the server has available _and_ the
packets reach the server, it's just blocked, no matter if it actually
handles the traffic (UDP flood attack, [1]).

> In the same time, on XMPP, do you see my presence?
> I think there is a S2S problem...
If it's with the mentioned server, I'm not surprised. Any attempt to
communicate with it will fail as the packets get dropped due to the UDP
flood.

Just sayin. Hopefully I didn't tell you something you don't know
already. To why the attacker chose the XMPP port, I assume thats due to
the fact that he/she can assume that it's not blocked inbetween.

regards,
Jonas

   [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_flood_attack