[Operators] Protocol agnostic URI for voice or video call?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Sat Jan 26 23:30:16 UTC 2013

On 26/01/13 22:03, Mikko Lehto wrote:
> 2013-01-07 (Mon) 15:16 UTC +0100  Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au>:
>
>> However, im: implies text chat only.  Are there equivalent prefixes to suggest voice and/or video sessions, and is there any generic prefix to suggest any arbitrary possibility (including smtp) at the caller's discretion?
>
> Hi Daniel
>
> Are you aware of acct: URI scheme¹ ?
> Maybe that can be utilized.
>
> [1] draft-ietf-appsawg-acct-uri

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I think it almost addresses
what I had in mind

s4.7 interoperability doesn't mention the fact that xmpp: and sip: have
slightly different sets of permitted characters for the user@ portion of
a URI.  s4.3 could probably be extended to define a subset that is
compatible with mailto:, xmpp: and sip: all at once